In order to advance forward we need to set goals which could be both short term and also long term. This is obviously useful if you are suffering from motivational problems, whereby you can not seem to get started or you can not achieve anything. Not withstanding you can set yourself a reward once you achieve your goal.
Goal Setting – Defined
You must attempt using the goals by defining them by time period and then by priority. List them below by time period, daily, weekly or monthly. After each goal, number them in order of priority with # 1 being the highest priority or most important goal for each time frame. Identify a suitable reward for each time frame or goal.
Specific The goal should identify a specific action or event that will take place.
Measurable The goal and its benefits should be quantifiable.
Achievable The goal should be attainable given available resources.
Realistic The goal should require you to stretch some, but allow the likelihood of success.
Timely The goal should state the time period in which it will be accomplished.
Goal Setting – Main Points
- One of the most commonly asked questions is “How do I stay motivated and take action?”
- What motivates you? And how do you get motivated?
- We are all motivated by different things.
- Short term motivation vs. Long term motivation
Examples: Losing 5 pounds or getting a new car by a certain date = short term
Feeling good about yourself or living a certain lifestyle = long term
- Goals = short term
- Vision = long term
- Your primary motivation should to be tied to your vision.
- Your vision needs to inspire you for the long term.
- This business requires self-motivation.
- External factors vs. Internal motivation
- Externally influenced motivation is not a bad thing. It is a natural part of life. But it is not enough.
- You need internal (intrinsic) motivation to keep you going when the going gets tough.
- Some of my internal motivators include:
-Family (external factor, but there is also internal side to it)
-A sense of fulfilling my purpose
- Figure out what your internal motivators are, and then make sure that they are a part of your vision.
- Tips and tricks are NOT the solution for why so many people are not motivated. However, they can be helpful for short term daily motivation. Here are a couple of lists for you to check out to see if you are interested in those kinds of tips.
Goal Setting – Action Steps
1) Figure out what really motivates you internally
2) make sure those things are a part of your vision
3) Think about whether your vision will motivate you for the long term, and if not, tweak your vision.
Even if you follow all of my advice from this lesson, there will still be times when you do not feel motivated. There will be times when you don’t want to complete the steps. It involves a choice, and the choice is yours. As always, you are welcome to post your questions and comments below. (Feel free to share something that motivates you)
Goal Setting – Theory & Research
Goals enhance self-regulation through their effects on motivation, learning, self-efficacy (perceived capabilities for learning or performing actions at given levels), and self-evaluations of progress. Initially people must make a commitment to attain goals because it will affect their performance if there is no change. Goals motivate people to exert effort necessary to meet task demands and persist over time. Goals also direct individuals attention to relevant task features, behaviors to be performed, and potential outcomes, and goals can affect how people process information. Goals help people focus on the task, select and apply appropriate strategies, and monitor goal progress. As people work on a task they compare their current performance with the goal. Self-evaluations of progress strengthen self-efficacy and sustain motivation.
This produces commitment. This is why goal setting is essential to success on every level.
Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to grasp a lot about this, like you wrote the e book in it or something. I believe that you could do with some p.c. to drive the message house a bit, however instead of that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.
Look forward to seeing you again… Thanks